Richardson in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church Richardson
Organized as the Methodist Episcopal Church, south, of Richardson, Texas, in 1886, the church was first served by circuit-riding preacher Thomas Jefferson Milam (1843-1917). For the first twelve years, services were held in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1898, the congregation bought one acre of land on Greenville Avenue from the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, and a white frame church was built. A parsonage was added in 1912, and a pump organ was purchased in 1916. As membership increased, the small church proved inadequate, and final services were held there in April 1924. A new red brick building opened in 1925, and the congregation became a full station in 1932. The church purchased land on Beltline Road in 1954. A Fellowship Hall, serving as a temporary sanctuary, and a 22-room educational building were opened on April 13, 1958. A new educational building was erected in July 1960, and the sanctuary and administrative offices were dedicated on September 13, 1964. An activities building was completed in 1972 and a chapel in 1982. With the 1968 merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, the
The church experienced tremendous growth beginning in the 1960s, growing to 6,000 members. Additional land was acquired over the years and the campus was expanded. In 1999, acreage was purchased on Central Expressway between Beltline and Arapaho Roads. The congregation broke ground on April 18, 2004 and held opening worship at the new campus on March 26, 2006. The church continues to live out the mission of the United Methodist Church.
Erected by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6708.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 57.367′ N, 96° 43.954′ W. Marker is in Richardson, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from North Central Expressway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 N Central Expressway, Richardson TX 75080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richardson (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Richardson (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Richardson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wheeler School (approx. ¾ mile away); Blewett Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles McKamy Spring (approx. one mile away); Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit (approx. 2 miles away); The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richardson.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.