Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
A Brief History of the Old Presbyterian Church in Charles Town
On February 17, 1787, Charles Washington, founder of Charles Town, executed a deed granting a lot to the Board of Trustees of the Charles Town Presbyterian Church. Washington was paid 20 pounds "current money of Virginia" for the lot which was in the southwestern portion Charles Town near Evitts Run. The first building was a small stone one erected in 1787. It was replaced by a larger stone one dedicated on April 4, 1830. On November 6, 1851, the last sermon was delivered at the old stone Church on West Street. On NOvember 13, 1851, the new sanctuary was dedicated on Washington Street. With the construction of the new sanctuary completed, the old stone church building was declared surplus by the Board of Trustees and sold to Mr. Wells J. Hawks. Mr. Hawks moved the old building to 104 East Liberty Street, where it became part of his carriage factory. Today the exposed stonework can be seen as part of another structure, while walking eastward along Liberty Street toward Samuel Street.
The building was surrounded by the graves of at least sixty people. The tombstones were all removed and the burial ground bulldozed in 1958.
The second sanctuary of the Charles Town Presbyterian Church located on West Congress Street could possibly have looked somewhat like this.
Sources: 1) 1851-1951, One Hundredth Anniversary, Presbyterian Church, Charles Town, WVa. Rev. C. Lloyd Arehart; Pastor. 2) A History of the Charles Town Presbyterian Church, by Michael D. Thompson, Charles Town Presbyterian Church, Miller Printing Company, 1987. 3) Tombstone Inscriptions, Jefferson County, WVa, 1687-1980, 1981 by Bee Line Chapter, NSDAR, Charles Town, WV 25414, pages 303-304.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 17.211′ N, 77° 51.792′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of South West Street and West Congress Street, on the right when traveling south on South West Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 S West St, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Martin Robinson Delany (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Stone House / Star Lodge No. 1 (about 400 feet away); John Thomas Marker (about 400 feet away); Brownfields to Greenfields (about 700 feet away); Office of Charles Washington (about 700 feet away); Charles Town Schools (about 800 feet away); Martin Robison Delany (about 800 feet away); Williams House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles Town.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.