Landover in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of the Wilson Farm
On this site stood the Wilson family homestead, which was built in the early 1900s after an earlier family home was destroyed by fire. It was the home of Georgianna Cornelia Wallis and Joseph Percy Wilson, the grandparents of the last generation of the family to live on the far.
For several hundred years, the Wilson Farm was a tobacco-growing plantation. Enslaved African-Americans labored here during the nineteenth century, including members of the Allen, Banks, Woodward, and Jones families. In the 20th century, the family operated the Wilson Brothers' Dairy here and also raised beef cattle, hogs, turkeys, and chickens. Trees were planted on the property to provide apples, pears, peaches, and pecans for the family. Several of these trees, which were planted by Joseph and Georgianna upon the birth of each of their children, still exist today and are located adjacent to the site of the homestead.
The Wilson Farm was originally part of the tract "Beall's Pasture," which had been granted by Charles Calvert, 3rd Lord BAltimore, to Ninian Beall in 1699. James Wilson purchased 305 acres of this land in 1750 and re-surveyed
Over the years, small parts of the farm were donated by the family for the construction of several churches, including the original St. Ambrose Catholic Church in 1886, and for the construction of the Capital Beltway.
Wilson family members proudly served their country during the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War II, and the Vietnam War. During the War of 1812, British troops who had participated in the burning of the White House and the U.S. Capitol marched past the Wilson Farm on their return from Washington. In the 1860s, Union soldiers stopped at the farm, and during World War II, German prisoners-of-war labored on this and other area farms.
By the end of the 20th century, the Wilson Farm was one of the last large family-owned farms remaining inside the Beltway. It was purchased by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission in 1995.
From 1867 Slave Statistics of Prince George's County, Maryland
Violetta Allen, 50, F, Good, Slave for Life
Tobias Allen, 32, M, Good, Slave for Life
Mary Allen, 12, F, Good, Slave for Life
Henry Allen, 1, M, Good, Slave for Life
Levi Allen, 18, M, Good, Slave for Life
Cassandra Banks, 15, F, Good, Slave for Life
Mary Banks, 2 months, F, Good, Slave for Life
Benjamin Allen, 13, M, Good, Slave for Life
Harriet Allen, 11, F, Good, Slave for Life
Violetta Allen, 8, F, Good, Slave for Life
Nancy Brown, 40, F, Good, Slave for Life
Sallie Brown, 16, F, Good, Slave for Life
Emily Brown, 11, F, Good, Slave for Life
Daniel Brooke, 24, M, Good, Slave for Life
Margaret Woodward, 34, F, Good, Slave for Life
Joseph Woodward, 34, M, Good, Slave for Life
Lucy Woodward, 17, F, Good, Slave for Life
Alexander Crawford, 2, M, Good, Slave for Life
Virginia B -, 10, F, Good, Slave for Life
Mealina James, not given, F, Good, Slave for Life
Cornelia Jones, 10, F, Good, Slave for Life
Richard Jones, 6, M, Good, Slave for Life
Caroline Jones, 3, F, Good, Slave for Life
Infant of Mealina Jones, 2, F, Good, Slave for Life
Linnie Brown, 17, F, Good, Slave for Life
Erected by Maryland-National Capital Parks and Planning Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, Vietnam • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1699.
Location. 38° 54.732′ N, 76° 51.982′ W. Marker is in Landover, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Sheriff Road and Harvey Drive, on the right when traveling east. The marker is on a walking trail on the grounds of the Prince George's Sports & Learning Complex, to the northeast of the main building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8009 Sheriff Rd, Hyattsville MD 20785, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Development at the Wilson Farm Site (here, next to this marker); Osborne Perry Anderson (approx. ¾ mile away); Christian A Fleetwood (approx. ¾ mile away); Thomas R Hawkins (approx. ¾ mile away); Elizabeth Keckly (approx. ¾ mile away); This Memorial is Dedicated (approx. 0.8 miles away); This Memorial Honors Philip Reed (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ridgeley Rosenwald School (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Landover.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.