San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Pinckney Henderson
Erected 1936 by State of Texas.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 31° 31.823′ N, 94° 6.672′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on West Columbia Street (Loop Texas Route 547) west of South Harrison StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Columbia Street, San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Augustine County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Major Murry L. Wortham (a few steps from this marker); San Augustine County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Augus Theatre (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Hollis Building (about 500 feet away); Sam Houston in San Augustine (about 500 feet away); The "Red Lander" Office (about 500 feet away); Site of Law Office of Kenneth L. Anderson (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
Also see . . .
1. James Pinckney Henderson (Wikipedia). Upon his graduation from law school at the University of North Carolina, Henderson studied 18 hours a day to pass his bar exam and was admitted to the North Carolina State Bar in 1829. Shortly after becoming a lawyer, Henderson served in the North Carolina militia, rising to the rank of colonel. In 1835, Colonel Henderson moved to Canton, Mississippi where he opened a law practice. His attention soon turned to the Texas struggle against Mexico. Henderson began making speeches to raise money and an (Submitted on June 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. James Pinckney Henderson. Henderson was a member of the Convention of 1845, was elected governor of Texas in November 1845, and took office in February 1846. With the declaration of the Mexican War and the organization of Texas volunteers, the governor asked permission of the legislature to take personal command of the troops in the field. He led the Second Texas Regiment at the battle of Monterrey and was appointed a commissioner to negotiate for the surrender of that city. (Submitted on June 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. James Pinckney Henderson. After election by the Texas legislature to the United States Senate to succeed Thomas J. Rusk, Henderson served in the Senate from November 9, 1857, until his death, on June 4, 1858. He was buried in the Congressional Cemetery, Washington. In 1930 his remains were reinterred in the State Cemetery in Austin. Henderson County, established in 1846, was named in his honor. (Submitted on June 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.