Site of Old Aurora
Laid out in 1835 on land grant from government of Mexico to Horatio M. Hanks. At least 160 blocks were planned. After the Texas Revolution, Banks' partner and agent Alamazon Huston sold first 15 lots on Nov. 27, 1837.
Deed records show town existed late as 1850. By 1880 the land was sold by state for its taxes.
Hurricanes, freezes and lack of medical services caused the area to be deserted by 1890.
Aurora bloomed and faded like the dawn, from which it took its name, leaving shoreline of Lake Sabine deserted until 1895, when Port Arthur was founded.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 10492.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical date for this entry is November 27, 1837.
Location. 29° 53.432′ N, 93° 55.017′ W. Marker is in Port Arthur, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodworth Boulevard and Procter Street, in the median on Woodworth Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 25, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.