Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas

 
 
Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, June 28, 2020
1. Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas Marker
Inscription.  

One of the first companies in the nation granted franchise rights for the distribution of Coca-Cola in bottles, the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas produced the city's first bottle of Coca-Cola on this site on June 10, 1902. J.T. Lupton of Chattanooga, Tennessee, was the principal owner, with an initial investment of $5,000. Three employees handled the entire operation. They were: R.D. Twinam, company manager; Mr. Dixon, the bookkeeper; and Fred Welsh, who operated the bottling machine. The employees sold 37 cases on the first day of production and delivered them in a one-horse wagon.

In the bottling process, glass Coca-Cola bottles were filled by using a hand-operated, foot-powered machine that held two bottles, one beneath the syrup and the other under the filling head for the carbonated water, where the bottles also were capped. Bottles were reused and had to be hand-washed by putting cleaning fluid and steel pellets, similar to gunshot, into the bottles and shaking them vigorously.

By 1905, sales of Coca-Cola had increased such that the company moved the bottling plant to 1800 Wood Street. From its small beginnings
Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, June 28, 2020
2. Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
here in Deep Ellum, the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas, later renamed the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of North Texas, grew to more than 2,600 employees in 19 locations by its centennial in Dallas in 2002.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12706.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 32° 47.055′ N, 96° 47.115′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Elm Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2638 Elm Street, Dallas TX 75226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leadbelly (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilson Block (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Sidney Pittman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baylor College of Dentistry (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of East Dallas (approx. half a mile away); Baylor University Medical Center (approx. half a mile away); Dallas Scottish Rite Temple (approx. half a mile away); Hilton Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 29, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152107

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021