Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eagle Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Iron-Stock Anchor

 
 
Iron-Stock Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
1. Iron-Stock Anchor Marker
Inscription.  This anchor, weighing approximately 3,000 pounds, was snagged in Bete Gris by the lake carrier "John G. Munson" operated by the U.S. Steel Company. It became entangled in the Munson's anchor line in October, 1983. The anchor, along with about 250 feet of chain was dragged all the way to Ashland, Wisconsin, where about 200 feet of chain was removed. The anchor and remaining chain were finally taken off in Two Harbors, Minnesota. In December of 1983, the Coast Guard Cutter "Sundew" brought the anchor to the Copper Range Dock in Houghton where it was picked up by Rowe Moving Company of Calumet and brought to its final resting place here in Keweenaw.

The identity of the vessel which originally carried this anchor remains a mystery but this type of anchor was used from the early 1800's to the early 1900's.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1983.
 
Location. 47° 27.558′ N, 88° 9.595′ W. Marker is in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road north of East North Street, on the
Iron-Stock Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
2. Iron-Stock Anchor Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
right when traveling north. Marker and subject anchor are located near the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 670 Lighthouse Road, Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riveted Bell Buoy (a few steps from this marker); Wood-Stock Anchor (a few steps from this marker); Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums (within shouting distance of this marker); Fog Signal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan DNR Marina (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor Entrance Channel and Range Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Eagle Harbor General Store (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Harbor.
 
Also see . . .  John G. Munson. The John G. Munson was built in 1952 at Manitowoc, Wisconsin. She was lengthened by 102 feet in 1976, an upgrade that extended her useful life on the Great Lakes. She was named after the president of Michigan Limestone who became an officer for United States Steel Corporation in 1939. Today the Munson often brings limestone when she comes to the Twin Ports but she carries a wide variety of cargos including iron ore pellets and coal. (Submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152797

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 11, 2021