Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blaine House

 
 
Blaine House wayside image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 9, 2015
1. Blaine House wayside
Inscription.  
Begun in 1794 by Colonel Ephraim Blaine – Indian trader, merchant, tavern-keeper, Sheriff, land speculator, and Commissary General of the Continental Army – the Blaine House is one of the finest examples of 18th century architecture still standing in Carlisle. Its 2 ½ story brick façade is enhanced with a grand pedimented doorway and an ornate cornice. The interior contains an elegant archway, wainscoted stairway and broken pedimented interior door surrounds. An elegant fireplace mantle with an oven mantle is located in the front room on the second floor.

In 1772 the property was purchased from the Penns by Captain Rev. John Steel, minister of the First Presbyterian Church. Called “The Fighting Parson” because of his involvement in both the French and Indian War and the Revolution, Rev. Steel sold the property in 1775 to his son-in-law Robert Semple who kept a tavern in the stone portion at the rear of this structure.

A Project of Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Photos courtesy of the Cumberland County Historical Society.
 
Erected by Historic Carlisle,
Blaine House image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 9, 2015
2. Blaine House
Wayside is to the right.
Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitecturePatriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 40° 12.042′ N, 77° 11.347′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on South Hanover Street south of Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3 S Hanover Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Robert Magaw (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Blaine House (here, next to this marker); Green Tree Inn (a few steps from this marker); The McClintock Riot (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Market House Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Public Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Downtown Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
 
Regarding Blaine House. The Historical Directory of Carlisle wayside spells the Reverend’s name as “Steele”.
 
Also see . . .
1. Ephraim Blaine. Wikipedia biography. (Submitted on July 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Inset image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 9, 2015
3. Inset
"View of the Blaine House after one of the first floor windows had been converted to a door and before the storefront was created."
 

2. Ephraim Blaine. "Find A Grave" entry. (Submitted on July 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

3. John Steel. "Find A Grave" entry. (Submitted on July 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Inset image. Click for full size.
By Larry Gertner, July 9, 2015
4. Inset
"Contemporary view of the 18th century stone tavern in the rear of the Blaine House."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021