Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Warren in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Village of Warren

 
 
Village of Warren Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Village of Warren Marker
Inscription.  Pioneers, mostly farmers, from New England settled the Warren area in 1832. Virgin forests supplied logs for the sawmills, which were located on Twelve and Fourteen Mile Roads. A strap railroad, one of the first of its kind in Michigan, connected the settlement to Detroit and Utica. By 1875 the community had two churches, a school, and several business establishments. It was called Beebe's Corner after John L. Beebe, who operated the toll gate for the plank road that led to Detroit. In 1893 the predominately German community voted to incorporate as a village, electing Dr. J. D. Flynn as president. Though work and cultural activities draw residents into the Detroit metropolitan community, Warren retains its individual identity in its historic churches, homes, and businesses establishments.
 
Erected 1982 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L883B.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location.
Village of Warren Marker image. Click for full size.
Image capture: Dec 2015 ©2020 Google
2. Village of Warren Marker
Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 31.685′ N, 83° 2.864′ W. Marker was in Warren, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker was at the intersection of Mound Road and Chicago Road, in the median on Mound Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Warren MI 48092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Red Run Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Red Run Creek (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hoard House (about 500 feet away); The Wilson-Bosh Home (about 700 feet away); Murthum-Vander Vlucht House (about 700 feet away); The Joiner House 1895 (about 800 feet away); The Reddick House (about 800 feet away); First Baptist Church of Warren (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warren.
 
Additional comments.
1. Village of Warren marker
The Village of Warren marker was removed sometime between December 2015 and October 2016.
    — Submitted August 14, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Village of Warren Marker - missing image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 21, 2020
3. Village of Warren Marker - missing
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 1, 2020