Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 6

Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker

 
 
Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
1. Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker Marker
Inscription.  The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the United States, and black freeman astronomer Benjamin Banneker. The donation of land from Virginia and Maryland fulfilled Article I, Section 8, Clause 12 of the U.S. Constitution, which set aside 10 square miles for the nation’s capital. This stone marked the jurisdiction of the U.S. and that of Virginia. In 1846, Congress returned the land Virginia had donated.
 
Erected 2005 by Arlington County, Virginia, paid for by Arlington County Fair.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Original Federal Boundary Stones series list.
 
Location. 38° 51.112′ N, 77° 7.156′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on South Jefferson Street
Southwest No. 6 Boundary Stone and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
2. Southwest No. 6 Boundary Stone and Marker
0.1 miles south of Columbia Pike (Virginia Route 244), in the median. The marker is at the boundary between present day Arlington and Fairfax Counties. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailey’s Crossroads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Flow Of Time (approx. 0.6 miles away); Barcroft (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Arlington Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lincoln Reviews Troops at Bailey's Cross Roads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Barcroft Community House (approx. ¾ mile away); Moses Ball Grant (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bailey’s Crossroads Civil War Engagements (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
More about this marker. This is not the original location of the boundary stone. It was moved from a nearby location because of street construction.
 
Additional keywords. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW6
 
Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
3. Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker
Original Boundary Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
4. Original Boundary Stone
Original Boundary Stone
D.C - SW 6
Dedicated June 15, 1916
Rededicated June 5, 1965
Fairfax County Chapter
DAR
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2020, by Roberto Bernate of Arlington, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   4. submitted on April 15, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021