Marty in Charles Mix County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Martin Marty / Rev. Sylvester Eisenman
First Abbot of St. Meinrad Archabbey, First Bishop of the Dakota Territory, began to visit the Indians in this territory in 1877. He established the first Indian Mission called St. Ann’s Mission of Wheeler, about 30 miles N.W. of here in 1878. The same year South Dakota was created a state - 1889, he was made the first Bishop of Sioux Falls, S.D.
With the help of many friends, built St. Paul’s Mission, Marty, and with the help of 3 Blessed Sacrament Sisters he operated it as a school Indian education in 1924. In 1935, he established here the convent for the Oblate Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. He laid down his burden on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross September 14, 1948.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marty SD 57361, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 18, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.