Appomattox Court House in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Strategic Delay
Appomattox Court House Nat’l Hist Park
Erected by Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, National Park Service, Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 37° 22.557′ N, 78° 48.199′ W. Marker is in Appomattox Court House, Virginia, in Appomattox County. Marker is on Old Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 24), on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, at the Confederate Cemetery wayside. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Appomattox VA 24522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Appomattox Court House Confederate Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Appomattox (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Cemetery Wartime Landscape (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); North Carolina (about 400 feet away); Sears Lane (about 400 feet away); Raine Memorial (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named North Carolina (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Appomattox Court House.
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker contains a photograph of the Union artillery and cavalry brigade that blocked the Confederate retreat. Two photographs appear at the top of the marker. They are of “James H. Lord (1832-1896), an 1857 graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point and a Pennsylvanian, received the brevet rank of major for gallant and meritorious service in action at Appomattox Court House,” and “William P. Roberts (1841-1910) was the youngest Confederate general in service. He was promoted brigadier general in February 1865.” The top right of the marker contains a battle map. It has the caption “During the early hours of April 9, 1865, Confederate forces moved into position on the west side of Appomattox Court House and prepared to launch a dawn assault to open the road. Before daylight Lord’s two 3-inch Ordnance Rifles (blue cannons on map) began firing shells into the Confederate formations. Skirmishers of the 1st Maine Cavalry (blue dots on the map) moved forward to support Lord’s battery. When Southern troops advanced, the Federal skirmishers withdrew and Lord’s cannoneers fled. Brigadier General William P. Roberts’ North Carolina cavalry brigade captured the two Union cannons and some remaining artillerymen, but the delay helped secure the Confederate surrender.”
Also see . . .
1. Appomattox Court House National Historic Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Appomattox Court House. CWSAC Battle Summaries website. (Submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for A Strategic Delay.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,108 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.