Monterey in Highland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Monterey
Union forces occupied Monterey on April 6, 1862. The town remained in Federal hands until after the Battle of McDowell, May 8, 1862. The Osborne Wilson-Fenn House, on Main Street, was Union Gen. Robert Milroy’s headquarters.
Displaying the ambiguity with which many western Virginians approached the Civil War, Highland County’s government waited until June 1862, after the Battle of McDowell, to take the Oath of Allegiance to the Confederacy.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1818.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Monterey VA 24465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Highland County Confederate Monument (here, next to this marker); Walk of Honor (a few steps from this marker); Monterey (a few steps from this marker); The Charles Pinckney Jones Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Charles Pinckney Jones House (within shouting distance of this marker); Highland Inn (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Allegheny (approx. 7.1 miles away); Highland County / West Virginia (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
More about this marker. In the upper portion of the marker is a photo of A reunion of Confederate soldiers outside the Highland Inn, after 1904. On the right is a map showing other Civil War sites in the area. In the upper right is a portrait of Gen. Robert Milroy.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,344 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on August 30, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 15, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 4. submitted on September 18, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.