Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Charles Frederick Taylor
Charles Frederick Taylor
July 2, 1863
Age 23 years 4 months 26 days
Colonel of "The Bucktails"
First Rifle Regiment P.V.R.C.
Erected by his comrades and friends
Born February 6 1840
Enrolled May 16 1861
Captain Co. H. 13th Penna. Reserves
First Rifles May 28 1861
Colonel March 1 1863
Killed in action July 2 1863
Erected 1905 by Comrades and Friends.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1863.
Location. 39° 47.74′ N, 77° 14.48′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is on Ayres Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Located on the southeast corner of the Wheatfield in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second U.S. Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 13th Pennsylvania Reservers (within shouting distance of this marker); Seventh U.S. InfantrySecond Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); First Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Third U.S. Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 148th Pennsylvania Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 2d Pennsylvania Reserves (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Also see . . . The Old Bucktails. A history of the 1st Pennsylvania Rifles / 13th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps / 42nd Pennsylvania Volunteers. (Submitted on January 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Original Marker and Different Location
One of the first markers placed at Gettysburg was a simple stone, looking like a gravestone, for Charles Taylor, dedicated in 1878. It stood on the east side of the ridge line, overlooking Plum Run Valley. Photos from the 1880s show Little Round Top in the distance. Later in the 1900s, funds for a new monument were secured, and the present one was
— Submitted February 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 22, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.