Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Caldwell County Jail
Organized in 1848, Caldwell County lost its original log jail in an 1858 fire, then kept prisoners in the Courthouse basement until 1873, when outlaws' activities called for a strong stone prison. In 1908 Caldwell contains voted 725 to 311 for a $25,000.00 bond issue to erect this castellated brick structure. The jailer's quarters occupy the ground floor, over a storage area in the basement. The upper floors contain fifteen cells of concrete and steel, with one cell rising from the center of the building. Gallows are said to have been removed from this jail in the 1930s.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 976.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 29° 53.063′ N, 97° 40.166′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and Brazos Street, on the left when traveling eastTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 East Market Street, Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caldwell County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caldwell County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andrew Lee Brock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Plum Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Eugene Clark Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Polonia Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
Regarding Caldwell County Jail. The Caldwell County Historical Commission now uses the old building as a jail museum. It is called the Caldwell County Museum and it is open for tours in the old historic jail.
The first floor of the building was for the sheriff and his family's living quarters. A specific door was used to move prisoners in and out of the jail.
Also see . . . Caldwell County Muesum. CaldwellMuesum.org (Submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.