Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
"Coloured" Grave Yard
On December 16, 1836, Andrew Hunter and his wife Elizabeth sold this lot to the Trustees of the City of Charles Town and their successors in office forever, for the sum of fifty dollars. This lot was intended for and always be used as a potters field and burying place for coloured persons. The amount was raised and contributed out of proceeds of a fair held by the scholars of William M. Jones School."
Erected 2005 by Charles Town Historic Landmarks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Landmarks.
Location. 39° 17.353′ N, 77° 51.251′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Seminary Street and East Avis Street, on the right when traveling south on South Seminary Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 S Seminary St, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edge Hill Cemetery (within shouting distance of In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); The Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock Graveyard Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Episcopal Churchyard (about 500 feet away); Davenport Brothers Revolutionary War Memorial (about 500 feet away); George Washington Turner (about 500 feet away); Sergeant Littleton Tazewell Cordell (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles Town.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.