Rosenberg in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded on a site in original Mexican Land Grant of early settler Henry Scott, where a small, nameless shipping point existed on the Brazos early as 1830.
The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad had tracks here before 1860. Town developed after the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad arrived in 1880 built a station where it crossed the B. B. B. & C., and in 1883 bought and platted a 200-acre site with a central square between the Brazos and the Railroad. Town was named for Henry Rosenberg of Galveston. A financial backer and president of G. C. & S. F.
Count Joseph Telfener, an Italian investor, set up offices here in 1881 to build New York, Texas & Mexican Railway, which extended to Victoria.
R. T. Mulcahy, called "Father of Rosenberg", arrived in 1883, and for 40 years promoted schools, business, and government. First newspaper, "The Silver X-Ray", was founded in 1895. Methodist and Baptist churches were active before 1900 when town was incorporated.
In 1912 came city water and electric lights, and chartering of a Boy Scout Troop (one of first in Texas). Oil and sulphur discoveries and highway development
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 29° 32.819′ N, 95° 48.353′ W. Marker is in Rosenberg, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and City Hall Drive, on the right when traveling south on 4th Street. The marker is in front of the Rosenberg City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2110 4th Street, Rosenberg TX 77471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rosenberg City Hall Gazebo Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Rosenberg (approx. 0.7 miles away); Julius Edward Junker (approx. 0.7 miles away); Robinowitz Brothers (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Bend Telephone Company (approx. 0.8 miles away); Charles Harvey Waddell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rosenberg Post Office (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vogelsang Building (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rosenberg.
Also see . . . Rosenberg Texas. (Submitted on October 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3. submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.