Matagorda in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On a site approximately 400 yards east stood
First Episcopal Church in Texas Organized January 27, 1839 The Rev. Caleb S. Ives, Rector Building consecrated February 25, 1844 by the Rt. Rev. Leonides Polk, D. D., Bishop of Louisiana Diocese of Texas established January 1, 1849 Building destroyed by hurricane September 11, 1854 Rebuilt on present site The Rev. Mr. Ives and his wife established and taught an early school in connection with the parish
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 839.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is January 27, 1839.
Location. 28° 41.543′ N, 95° 58.049′ W. Marker is in Matagorda, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Cypress Street and Lewis Street, on the left when traveling south on Cypress Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Matagorda TX 77457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Matagorda (a few steps from this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (a few steps Matagorda Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matagorda Lodge No. 7, A.F. & A.M. (about 500 feet away); The Culver Home (about 700 feet away); Dale-Rugeley-Sisk Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Texas Freighting (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Dream Colony of Jane McManus (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matagorda.
Regarding Christ Church. This church is the oldest Episcopal Church in Texas and is referred to as "The Mother Church of Texas."
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.