Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Coupland in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Carlson

 
 
Carlson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 29, 2007
1. Carlson Marker
Inscription.  

Brothers Pete and John Carlson, Swedish immigrants who came to America in 1869, settled in this area in 1881. Pete opened Carlson store, the first store in the community, and John operated the local cotton gin. The town’s economy was based on cotton farming. At its height in the early 20th century, Carlson included family farms, the cotton gin (known as Larson Gin after Henry Larson bought it), the Carlson Store (later called the Nelson Store after it was purchased by J.B. Nelson), a school, a community band hall, and a community club.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14066.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 25.669′ N, 97° 27.132′ W. Marker is near Coupland, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Lund Carlson Road and Manda Carlson Road, on the right when traveling east on Lund Carlson Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coupland TX 78615, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
, measured as the crow flies. Manda (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Willow Ranch School (approx. 2.4 miles away); New Sweden Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Kimbro (approx. 3 miles away); James O. Rice (approx. 3.6 miles away); Lund (approx. 3.7 miles away); St. Peters United Church of Christ (approx. 4.2 miles away); United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coupland.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2010. This page has been viewed 648 times since then. Last updated on October 29, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photo   1. submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and surrounding area. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 17, 2021