Conewago Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Catholic Faith was brought from Maryland about 1730 to Conewago which became an important Jesuit mission foundation.
,br> From here the faith spread over a great area of Pennsylvania and Western Maryland.
A log chapel was built in 1741 was replaced in 1787 by the present building — the oldest stone Catholic church in the United States.
This is the first parish church in all America dedicated to the
and aggregated to the
Patriarchal Vatican Basilica
His Holiness Pope John XXIII
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 39° 49.128′ N, 77° 2.288′ W. Marker is in Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Basilica Drive just south of Chapel Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Basilica Dr, Hanover PA 17331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Conewago Chapel Bell (here, next to this marker); Stones from the Mass House (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick McSherry (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Timon Reily (approx. 1.4 miles away); Destruction of Private Property (approx. 2.9 miles away); In Memory and in Grateful Recognition of (approx. 2.9 miles away); History of the Ten Commandments Monolith (approx. 3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conewago Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.