La Jornada & Point of Rocks
About seven miles north of present-day Elkhart, a rugged bluff known as Point of Rocks overlooked a campground much used by travelers because good water was always available from the nearby Middle Spring of the Cimarron. From here, the trail continued on to Santa Fe, following the river and other landmarks.
William Becknell, who pioneered commercial use of the train in 1821, and trader Josiah Gregg, author of the classic Commerce of the Prairies, were among those who stopped at Point of Rocks. Many others passed this way, traveling to and from Santa Fe.
Elkhart, one of the youngest towns in Kansas dates to 1912 and the arrival of the Dodge City and Cimarron Valley Railway.
Erected by Kansas Historical Society and Kansas Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 84.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic
Location. 36° 59.717′ N, 101° 53.864′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Kansas, in Morton County. Marker is on U.S. 56 west of Trim Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Located at a roadside pulloff. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart KS 67950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Point of Rocks. (Submitted on November 16, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 16, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • • Can you help?