Terry in Fayette County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
New River Gorge National River
Camp Prince, or Army Camp as it was known locally, was a site operated by the 1428th Engineer Float Bridge Company. It opened around 1950 as a training and testing ground for the quick assembly of temporary floating bridges. These bridges were used for stream crossings of military equipment. There were between 100 and 150 soldiers stationed here at any one time. Each training session in the assembly of these bridges took approximately six to eight weeks. The temporary bridge building came to an end in 1957 and the camp closed for good in the early 1960's.
All that remains of Army Camp today is a concrete water tank along the riverbank and the foundations and concrete floors of the 11 buildings that were utilized by the soldiers.
Today, Army Camp is used as a campground, as well as a day use area for fishing, picnicking, and relaxing in the peaceful beauty of New River Gorge National River. Enjoy your stay in your national park!
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, Cold. A significant historical year for this entry is 1428.
Location. 37° 51.517′ N, 81° 5.917′ W. Marker is in Terry, West Virginia, in Fayette County. Marker is on Prince Army Camp Road (County Road 41/39) 2.1 miles west of Stanaford Road (State Route 41). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Layland WV 25864, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fayette County / Raleigh County (approx. 1˝ miles away); Quinnimont Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); DuBois High School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mount Hope School History (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mount Hope Landmarks (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mount Hope Early Town History (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mount Hope Coal History (approx. 4.3 miles away); Dubois School History (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.