Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

William R. Davie House

 
 
William R. Davie House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, November 30, 2020
1. William R. Davie House Marker
Inscription.  
William Richardson Davie lived in this transitional Georgian Federal town house during most of his active career. One of North Carolina’s most distinguished and influential Federal leaders, Davie attended the United States Constitutional Convention in 1787 and supported its ratification.

In 1789, he introduced legislation chartering the University of North Carolina, earning him the unofficial title, “Father of the University.” He also served as governor and as envoy to France.

The present structure has had both additions and alterations. During Davie’s ownership, an interior chimney was removed and replaced with two exterior ones.

Davie moved to South Carolina after the death of his wife in 1802. Sarah Davie is buried in the Colonial Cemetery within the state historic site. Davie left the house to his son Allen Jones Davie. His son sold the property in 1808. It was sold many times thereafter, with the State of North Carolina purchasing the house and property in December 1999.

(Captions)
Davie was born in England in 1756 and died in South Carolina in 1820. This posthumous
William R. Davie House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, November 30, 2020
2. William R. Davie House Marker
portrait of Davie was painted by Charles Wilson Peale in 1826. Portrait property of the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies Foundation, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

This 1935 illustration depicts Davie laying the cornerstone for the Old East Building on the UNC campus, 1793. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Background, The Davie House pictured circa 1900 -1914. Built circa 1783 – 1785, the house is the only extant Davie residence. Now known Loretta, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places June 19, 1973. North Carolina Museum of History Collection.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 36° 19.86′ N, 77° 35.513′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is at the intersection of Norman Street and Saint David Street, on the left when traveling north on Norman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16–24 Norman Street, Halifax NC 27839, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William R. Davie (within shouting distance of this marker); The Owens House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Halifax Colonial Jails (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eagle Tavern
William R. Davie House c. 1783 image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, November 30, 2020
3. William R. Davie House c. 1783
Town of Halifax National Register Historic District
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonial Punishment (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early American Taverns (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Eagle Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Colonial Churchyard" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
 
Also see . . .  Davie, William Richardson. NCpedia (Submitted on December 8, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021