Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dr. Hugo J. Strieder

 
 
Dr. Hugo J. Strieder Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
1. Dr. Hugo J. Strieder Marker
Inscription.  

Born on March 21, 1907, in a small farmhouse four miles east of Moulton near the small hamlet of Komensky, Hugo J. Strieder knew at a young age that he was destined to be a doctor. From humble beginnings, he graduated as salutatorian of Moulton High School in the class of 1926. When he was in high school, local dentist and mentor, Dr. P.O. Puck, encouraged Hugo to attend college and study medicine. Hugo attended Baldwin's Business College in Yoakum where he learned skills that would later help him pay for school in 1932, he graduated from St. Edward's University in Austin and then the University of Texas Medical School in Galveston in 1934. After his internship and residency at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin, Dr. Strieder was offered a position, but declined in favor of returning to Moulton.

In 1936, Hugo married Lillian Migl and began a private practice in Rowena. By 1940, he started his own practice in Moulton on Elm and Arnim streets. Speaking fluent German, Dr. Strieder became the areas country doctor as well as being active in the Volunteer Fire Department, Knights of Columbus and St. Joseph's Catholic Church. During WWII
Dr. Hugo J. Strieder Marker by the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
2. Dr. Hugo J. Strieder Marker by the road
Dr. Strieder served in the Navy Medical Corps, honing his diagnostic and surgical skills. After the war, Dr. Strieder bought land in 1946 and opened a clinic and hospital. His practice provided a bridge between the pre-war doctors and the advances in medicine from WWII. Dr. Strieder made a significant impact in the area from everyday wounds to outbreaks of Polio. In need of rest, he closed the hospital in 1953 and eventually took a job with the Atomic Energy Commission. He died on December 11, 1955, and is buried near his beloved "Hospital on the Hill".
 
Erected 2019 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
 
Location. 29° 34.792′ N, 97° 9.129′ W. Marker is in Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1680 0.1 miles west of Memorial Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sam and Will Moore Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam and Will Moore Institute Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
half a mile away); Old Boehm Store (approx. half a mile away); Moulton (approx. half a mile away); Adolph Hofner (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
Also see . . .  Dr. Hugo John Strieder. Findagrave.com (Submitted on January 8, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021