Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Since its construction in 1920, this building has been in continuous use housing news and entertainment media. It was designed by Architect M.M. Gin and constructed by Contractor Alex Griffin to be the new home of the Brenham Banner Publishing Company. The basement of the two-story building was heavily re-inforced with concrete to support the large printing presses and other equipment. The building cost $40,000.00 not including the site which was valued at $8.000.00.
For a number of years the second story of the building was rented out as apartments or offices. In addition to the newspaper and printing business, the first floor also had a stationery and office supply department. The building and newspaper were purchased in 1937 by Tom S. Whitehead, Sr. In 1947 he founded KWHI radio station and later moved those studios to the second floor of the building. In 1962, he sold the newspaper and it later moved to another location.
In 1971, Whitehead and his son Tom S. Whitehead, Jr. founded TV Cable of Brenham which was located in the building for a number of years until it was sold to Northland Cable and moved to the adjacent
Erected by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications.
Location. 30° 10.068′ N, 96° 23.79′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Market Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 East Main Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bassett and Bassett Banking House (a few steps from this marker); Site of Old St. Anthony Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington County All Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington County, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); Washington County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (about 500 feet away); The Brenham Maifest (about 500 feet away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.