Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Trentonís Early Houses of Worship
A handful of Quaker meetinghouses were built in the area prior to 1700, with the Trenton meetinghouse finally being erected in 1739. By the middle of the 18th century there were also several well-established Presbyterian and Episcopalian congregations. Presbyterian churches were in existence in present-day Lawrenceville, Pennington and Ewing by the second decade of the 18th century. Trentonís first church of this denomination was built in 1726. the original St. Michaelís Church on North Warren Street, the first Episcopalian house of worship in Trenton was erected in 1747-48 to replace an earlier house of worship in Ewing that dated from 1704-05.
Links to learn more – Quaker Meetinghouse, Trenton; St. Michaelís Episcopal Church, Trenton
Erected 2004 by New Jersey Department of Transportation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪, and the Quakerism ⛪ series lists.
Location. 40° 11.899′ N, 74° 45.505′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from New Jersey Route 29. This marker is part of South River Walk Park which is built over Route 29. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From Federal City to State Capital (here, next to this marker); Slavery – An “Odious and Disgraceful” PracticeThe Battles of Trenton, Turning Point of the Revolution (here, next to this marker); 18th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); 17th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); 19th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); Native Americans Exchange Furs for European Goods (a few steps from this marker); What happened to the Lenape? (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. This is one of four subject markers under the 18th Century Arch.
On this marker are etched pictures of four Trenton churches, and have the following captions:
- "Quaker Meeting house, East Hanover Street, built 1739, original building contained within present structure."
- "St. Michaelís Episcopal Church, North Warren Street view of present building erected in the 18th century, which contains parts of the mid-18th-century church."
- "First Presbyterian Church, East State Street (built 1726; no longer standing)."
- "First Methodist Church, North Broad Street (built 1723; no longer standing)."
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on February 2, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.