The Serpent Mound
The serpent head was first described by Squire and Davis in "Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley" 1843
Saved from destruction in 1885 by Fredrick Ward Futnam, Professor of American Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University.
The land included in the park was secured by subscription obtained by Ladies of Boston in 1887, when it was deeded to the trustees of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass. exempted from taxation the act of legislature of Ohio in 1888.
Transferred by Harvard University May
1900, to Ohio State Archaeological and
Historical Society for perpetual care.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Education • Native Americans.
Location. 39° 1.502′ N, 83° 25.803′ W. Marker is in Peebles, Ohio, in Adams County. Marker can be reached from Ohio Route 73 0.9 miles west of Homer Chapel Road (County Road T-116), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3854 OH-73, Peebles OH 45660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.