Monterey in Highland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Monterey
Union forces occupied Monterey on April 6, 1862. The town remained in Federal hands until after the Battle of McDowell, May 8, 1862. The Osborne Wilson-Fenn House, on Main Street, was Union Gen. Robert Milroy’s headquarters.
Displaying the ambiguity with which many western Virginians approached the Civil War, Highland County’s government waited until June 1862, after the Battle of McDowell, to take the Oath of Allegiance to the Confederacy.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 38° 24.761′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey VA 24465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Highland County Confederate Monument (here, next to this marker); Camp Allegheny (approx. 7.1 miles away); Highland County / West Virginia (approx. 7.3 miles away); Felix Hull House (approx. 7.3 miles away); West Virginia / Virginia (approx. 7.4 miles away in West Virginia); Village of McDowell (approx. 7½ miles away); McDowell VA - May 8, 1862 (approx. 7½ miles away); Battle of McDowell (approx. 7.6 miles away).
More about this marker. In the upper portion of the marker is a photo of A reunion of Confederate soldiers outside the Highland inn, after 1904. On the right is a map showing other Civil War sites in the area. In the upper right is a portrait of Gen. Robert Milroy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,291 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 15, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.