Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pemberton Castle (Fisher-Gideon House)
Pemberton Castle began in the 1890s as a cylindrical water tower. It was converted into a small castle in the mid-1920s by Samuel (Budley) Fisher for use as the Pemberton Heights subdivision sales office. The castle was acquired in 1937 by Samuel Gideon and his wife Sadie Cavitt Gideon. A respected professor of architecture at the University of Texas, added many distinctive features to the structure. The house is an asymmetrical Gothic Revival style structure with a rough stone face and prominent castellated parapets.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996
Erected 1996 by Texas Historic Commission. (Marker Number 14290.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 30° 17.513′ N, 97° 45.303′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Lane and Woolridge Drive, on the right when traveling north on Green Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1415 Woolridge Drive, Austin TX 78703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerMalcolm and Margaret Badger Reed Estate (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Snead-Rieck House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmund and Emily Miller House (approx. half a mile away); Clara Driscoll (approx. half a mile away); The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters (approx. half a mile away); Splitrock (approx. half a mile away); Crusemann-Marsh-Bell House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gerhard-Schoch House (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on February 17, 2021. 2. submitted on February 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.