St. Clairsville in Belmont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Belmont County / Groundbreaking Site of the National Road in Ohio
Belmont County. On September 7, 1801, Belmont County became the ninth county in what became the State of Ohio. On April 1, 1803, the state’s first General Assembly appointed a commission to determine if it was necessary to move the county seat from Pultney (south of Bellaire). The commission found that St. Clairsville was the “most proper place” and the county seat moved in April 1804. Around 1857, the need for repairs to the “Old Courthouse” sparked a county seat “war” between Pultney and St. Clairsville that lasted 25 years. The Ohio General Assembly ended the dispute in 1883 by “indefinitely postponing” a bill to move the seat to Bellaire. The present courthouse and adjoining sheriff’s office and jail were completed by 1888 and are part of the St. Clairsville Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
Groundbreaking Site of the National Road in Ohio. Near this site on July 4, 1825 ground was broken in Ohio for the National Road. The National Road was America’s first federally planned and funded highway and linked the east coast of
Erected 2017 by Ohio National Road Association; Rotary Club of St. Clairsville; The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 20-7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Political Subdivisions • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Historic National Road series lists.
Location. 40° 4.834′ N, 80° 54.051′ W. Marker is in St. Clairsville, Ohio, in Belmont County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 40) and South Market Street, on the left when traveling east on West Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W Main St, Saint Clairsville OH 43950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belmont County Revolutionary War Veterans (here, next to this marker); Milestone Marks where Extension of National Road... (a few steps from this marker); Medal of Honor Recipients of Belmont County (a few steps from this marker); Governor Arthur St. Clair 1734-1818 (a few steps from this marker); Belmont County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Thomas Drummond (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Benjamin Lundy (about 700 feet away); Benjamin Lundy Champion of Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Clairsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2021, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 22, 2021, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. 4. submitted on February 23, 2021, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.