Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for family of 1853-57 Texas Governor, Elisha Marshall Pease (1812-83), within whose early-day plantation this area was situated. Gov. and Mrs. Pease on May 20, 1875, gave 23-acre site here on Shoal Creek to City of Austin for use as a public park. It was already a landmark, known as post-Civil War camping ground of Gen. George A. Custer (1839-76) and 200 federal soldiers.
Left undeveloped until about 1913, park was nevertheless used for all sorts of celebrations such as the annual outings of volunteer firemen. It remains a spot of natural beauty.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 15397.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 16.858′ N, 97° 45.089′ W. Marker was in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker was on Kingsbury Street west of Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Pease Park is under construction, the marker is currently not installed Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1100 Kingsbury Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Okewell (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Calvin Maples Cureton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Granger House and The Perch (approx. ¼ mile away); Crusemann-Marsh-Bell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry H. and Bertha Sterzing Ziller House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Herblin – Shoe House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Edward Mandell House Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on February 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on January 4, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on February 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on September 3, 2015, by Renee' Lasswell of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.