Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the late 1800's there were twelve passenger trains a day stopping at the Oakland train station, and hordes of vacationers flooding the town. Perhaps the busiest section of Oakland was Railroad Street, which ran parallel to the tracks between the depot and the railroad crossing. On the opposite side of the tracks from the station were two large hotels, the Oakland Hotel (Built by the B&O Railroad Company), and the Glades Hotel. A broad boardwalk ran along both sides of the tracks, with numerous businesses stretching along the depot side. Among the businesses which were known to exist from time to time along this street, between the 1870's and the 1920's were the following (starting at the depot and leading toward the crossing):
In the 1880's Mr J.M. Litzinger operated a confectionery and Music Store next to the depot, selling all kinds of musical instruments, including pianos and organs. In the 1890's this building was converted into the Schley Hotel. Inside the hotel was the Railroad Street Restaurant and R. S. Jamison's Eureka Saloon. In 1906 the Schley Hotel was purchased by Edward Frantz and renamed the Hotel Franz.
Further south was Henry Felty's green grocery, John Robinson's dental office, and J. D. Taggart's confectionery. The original Hinebaugh's Restaurant was located in the Felty Building. At the point where Wilson's Creek flows under the railroad track there was a small building set on posts above the creek, containing a Barber Shop, and later a Cobbler's Shop.
Near the center of Railroad Street was the impressive "Offutt's Big Store", which could be entered both from Railroad Street and Second Street. Further south, where the stone chimney now stands, was J. J. Reynold's Café and Saloon, later named Oakland Saloon and Pool Hall.
Nearing the railroad crossing a pedestrian would find a drug store, known successively as Casteel's Drug Store, Myer's Drug Store and the Oakland Pharmacy (operated by Joseph Harned). Closer to the crossing was William Malette's green grocery store and F. G. Hyde's Jewelry store.
With the advent of the automobile and diminishing of the railroad passenger traffic, the businesses along the railroad were ultimately dissolved,
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), and the Maryland, Town of Oakland series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 39° 24.58′ N, 79° 24.525′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker can be reached from Liberty Street. The marker is in the parking lot between the train station and 125 E. Liberty Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Glades Hotel (a few steps from this marker); 1920 Baldwin Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrett Memorial Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 1955 B&O Railroad Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Benefactors (within shouting distance of this marker); 1884 Oakland Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker); 1938 McCormick-Deering Farmall F14 & 1942 John Deere (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.