Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Licking County Courthouse

 
 
The Licking County Courthouse Marker, side one image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 19, 2021
1. The Licking County Courthouse Marker, side one
Inscription.  Licking County was established in 1808. Construction of the current Licking County Courthouse began in 1876. In 1879, a fire destroyed upper portions of this building, which were replaced in 1880. Architect Henry E. Myer of Cleveland designed the building in the Second Empire style, which originated in France. The building contains significant works of art, including paintings, sculptures, and stained glass in the west courtroom on the second floor. The statues over the original entrances to the courthouse represent the ideal of impartial justice.

This building is the fourth courthouse of Licking County. Each courthouse was located on the public square. In the early nineteenth century, a whipping post for the punishment of criminals was also on the square. The first courthouse was a log building constructed around 1809. The second was built of brick around 1815. Another brick building with pillars replaced it in 1832 but was destroyed by fire in 1875. In addition to court activities, the courthouse was a meeting place for local organizations. The current building once housed all branches of county government.
The Licking County Courthouse Marker, side two image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 19, 2021
2. The Licking County Courthouse Marker, side two
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected 2014 by Licking County Board of Commissioners, Licking County Records & Archives Department, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 29-45.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
 
Location. 40° 3.48′ N, 82° 24.077′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Square and East Main and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on Courthouse Square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Courthouse Square, Newark OH 43055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (within shouting distance of this marker); The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence (about 500 feet away); McCune-Stimson House (about 500 feet away); Honoring Carl Etherington (about 600 feet away); Licking County Sheriff’s Residence & Jail (about 700 feet away); The John W. Alford Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
The Licking County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 19, 2021
3. The Licking County Courthouse Marker
The Licking County Courthouse, Newark, Ohio image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 19, 2021
4. The Licking County Courthouse, Newark, Ohio
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169151

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022