Near Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rock Run Mill
The building was restored by the State of Maryland in 1965. The huge water wheel, which drives the French-made mill stones, is an exact replica of the original. The water wheel turns from the weight of the water filling the buckets. Although it weighs twelve tons, the wheel is so finely balanced that less than two pounds of force will turn it.
During its operation the mill served as a center of activity for the community. Money was seldom exchanged between the local farmers—who brought their grain to be ground into meal—and the miller. Instead, the miller took a percentage of the processed grain, known as the “pottle.”
Another historic site of interest is the nearby Rock Run Manor House. This mansion was constructed in 1804 by John Carter. The mill and mansion are open for tours on summer weekend afternoons.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 39° 36.474′ N, 76° 8.532′ W. Marker is near Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Stafford Road south of Rock Run Road, on the right when traveling south. It is in Susquehannna State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rock Run Landing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock Run (about 500 feet away); Smith’s Falls (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Rock Run Mill (approx. one mile away); River Crossing (approx. one mile away); Jacob Tome, Town Father (approx. 1.4 miles away); John A. J. Creswell (approx. 1.4 miles away); On Alert (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,110 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on April 11, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on June 27, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.