This is the first brick church erected within the original city limits of Bardstown. The 1804 will of Samuel P. Jones directed that his possessions be sold and the money be used to build a church for all Christian denominations. His wishes were carried out and the church was built ca. 1812. Two lots were used for the cemetery.
Congregations of Presbyterians, Methodists, and Baptists met here until they built their own churches. After the Civil War, the African American Baptists began meeting here and assumed responsibility for its upkeep. It was enlarged and a bell tower was added in the late 1800s. Became home to the First Baptist Church in the 1860s.
Erected 2015 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2452.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bardstown's First Church (here, next to this marker); Alexander Walters (1858-1917) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “A Pretty Close Call” (about 700 feet away); Twenty-Five Damned Yankees (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salem Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lafayette Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilson & Muir Bank & Trust Co. (approx. ¼ mile away); John Fitch Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bardstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.