Two Harbors in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Union Army Barracks
Built in 1864 as quarters for Company C, Fourth California Volunteer Infantry, which maintained order among the miners, discouraged smuggling of Chinese, prevented use of Isthmus harbors by Confederate privateers and kept the island and its mines secure. The garrison, commanded by Captain R.S. West, was in place from January to December, 1864.
E Clampus Vitus
Erected 1978 by E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 33° 26.371′ N, 118° 29.96′ W. Marker is in Two Harbors, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Banning House Road and Two Harbors Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avalon CA 90704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Leaping Tuna (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Tuna Club of AvalonCatalina Island Yacht Club (approx. 11.8 miles away); Wrigley Memorial (approx. 12.1 miles away); Avalon Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Isthmus Yacht Club. (Submitted on April 25, 2021.)
2. Civil War Barracks - the oldest building on the island. Catalina Island Company (Submitted on April 25, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2021. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 25, 2021. 2. submitted on April 27, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.