Saint Anthony's Cathedral
Traveling priests visited this area as early as the 1850s, conducting Catholic services outdoors, in homes, and later in the town Temperance Hall. The first church building was constructed in 1881 under the leadership of the Rev. V. Quinon. Located on the corner of Bowie and Orleans streets, the small wooden structure was dedicated as St. Louis Church.
The building was moved to this location in 1894. One year later a school was started here by Mother Pauline and sister Augustine of the Dominican Order. Classes were held in the church rectory until 1896, when a separate schoolhouse was constructed nearby.
As the population increased during the Beaumont oil boom of the early 1900s, parishioners began planning for construction of a new church building. Started in 1903, this Italian Renaissance revival structure was completed four years later and named in honor of Saint Anthony of Padua. It features a copper dome and an ornate marble altar.
Additional buildings, including the convent and rectory, were constructed during the 35-year pastorate of Monsignor E. A. Kelly, 1919-54. Pope Paul VI created the Beaumont Diocese in 1966, and Saint
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10560.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 4.686′ N, 94° 6.045′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Jefferson Street south of Forsythe Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Jefferson Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Theatre (approx. 0.3 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tyrrell Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Henry Millard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Beaumont (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Noah Tevis (approx. half a mile away); Port of Beaumont (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.