Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Edmund and Emily Miller House
Noted economist and University of Texas professor Edmund T. Miller (1878-1952) and his wife, Emily (1884-1979), an artist and member of the pioneer Maverick family of San Antonio, acquired this property in 1922. The design for their Mediterranean style home was the work of Emily Miller, her nephew Edward Sammons Maverick, and architecture professor Raymond Everett. Built to complement the hillside setting and completed in 1923, the house features the work of metal craftsman Fortunat Weigl and retains many of its original landscaping features.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12592.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 17.491′ N, 97° 44.823′ W. Marker was in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker was on Poplar Street north of West 26th Street, on the left when Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 910 Poplar Street, Austin TX 78705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Clara Driscoll (approx. ¼ mile away); The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters (approx. ¼ mile away); Zeta Tau Alpha House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. Robert Lee "R.L." Moore (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buen Retiro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gerhard-Schoch House (approx. 0.4 miles away); All Saints' Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); All Saints’ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
More about this marker. The marker was reported as stolen by the property owner. The house is being remodeled and a new marker application has been made with Texas Historic Commission (May 11, 2021).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 917 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on May 11, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.