Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grove City in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Beulah Park

 
 
Beulah Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 20, 2021
1. Beulah Park Marker
Inscription.  
The origin of Beulah Park Race Track began in 1889 when local businessman A. G. Grant petitioned the village of Grove City to create the Beulah Addition housing development on farmland once owned by town founder William Foster Breck. Grant named the new addition, located west of Harrisburg Pike, in honor of his daughter, Beulah. Grant, whose grandparents Hugh and Catherine Grant were Jackson Township's first settlers in 1803, added a recreational park to the development to attract potential buyers. The beautifully wooded park attracted visitors who enjoyed picnics, concerts, speeches, and baseball games there. Soon the park was expanded to include a small racetrack on the grounds.

The new track grabbed the attention of Franklin County Fair officials who held the fair on the site intermittently until 1918 when it was relocated to Hilliard. Shortly thereafter, Colonel James M. Westwater purchased the grounds and added improvements. In 1922, Westwater sold his interest to the Capital City Racing Association and, in 1923, the Association founded Beulah Park- Ohio's first Thoroughbred racetrack. The main entrance of the park was located

Beulah Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 20, 2021
2. Beulah Park Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Grant Avenue, a street named in honor of Jackson Township's first settlers. In 1931, pari-mutuel wagering commenced under the supervision of the Ohio Racing Commission. In 1983, Beulah Park was the first track in Ohio to offer simulcast wagering on the Kentucky Derby.
 
Erected 2011 by Southwest Franklin County Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number OHS 115-25.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsEntertainmentParks & Recreational AreasSports.
 
Location. 39° 52.918′ N, 83° 5.568′ W. Marker is in Grove City, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Park Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker is currently inside the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum, pending future re-installation near its prior home. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 338 Park St, Grove City OH 43123, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 4022 Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); 4026-4030 Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); 4002 Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); "Park and Broadway in 1924" (within shouting distance of this marker); 4038 Broadway
The museum in Grove City, Ohio image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 20, 2021
3. The museum in Grove City, Ohio
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 3999 Broadway (about 300 feet away); 3995 Broadway (about 300 feet away); 4052 Broadway (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grove City.
 
Also see . . .
1. Requiem for a racetrack: Beulah Park is closing, leaving many horsemen behind (2014). (Submitted on May 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Beulah Park racetrack at Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Beulah Park: Walkable Grove City OH. (Submitted on May 23, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
A vintage poster promoting Beulah Park image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 20, 2021
4. A vintage poster promoting Beulah Park
The original location of marker, on the north side of the old Beulah Park. image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 20, 2021
5. The original location of marker, on the north side of the old Beulah Park.
The sign attached to the marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 20, 2021
6. The sign attached to the marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173571

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021