Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weston in Lewis County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Mary Conrad Cabin

 
 
Mary Conrad Cabin Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 11, 2021
1. Mary Conrad Cabin Marker
The text and image are printed on a thin sheet of brass glued to the signboard.
Inscription.  In 1845, William Rohrbough built the front half of what is now known as the Mary Conrad Cabin on a tract of land in southern Lewis County. The land had originally been patented by George Jackson, brother to Colonel Edward Jackson of Jackson's Mill. In 1855 George Conrad purchased the cabin and added the back half.

The cabin was strategically located along the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike at Bushes Mill (now Roanoke) and was used as a courier stop by both sides during the Civil War. Legend claims that soldiers William McKinley and Rutherford B. Hayes, future presidents of the United States, drank from the sweep-well then located in the cabin dooryard. The future presidents were then serving in the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Among others who are said to have stopped there are Union General J.A.J. Lightburn, future ambassador to England, Whitelaw Reid; and Confederate General John D. Imboden.

In 1961 George Conrad's granddaughter, Mary Conrad, deeded the cabin to the state of West Virginia for use as a roadside park. In 1988 the cabin was moved to a new roadside park to make way for the Stonewall Jackson Lake. However,
Mary Conrad Cabin and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 11, 2021
2. Mary Conrad Cabin and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
after the closure of the roadside parks system in West Virginia, the Mary Conrad Cabin was again looking for a new home. Through the efforts of many people, a new home was found in the Jackson's Mill Historic Area in the summer of 1994. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
 
Location. 39° 5.826′ N, 80° 28.102′ W. Marker is in Weston, West Virginia, in Lewis County. Marker is on Jacksons Mill Road (County Route 10) 2.6 miles north of Route 19, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 Jacksons Mill Road, Weston WV 26452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson’s Mill (here, next to this marker); Welcome (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Jackson's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Jackson’s Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Graves of Heroes (approx. 1.7 miles away); Jackson’s Mill / Jackson Graves (approx. 2.4 miles away); First M.P. Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gen. Lightburn (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weston.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Last updated on May 24, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173813

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2021