Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Officers’ Row, 1909

 
 
Officers’ Row, 1909 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
1. Officers’ Row, 1909 Marker
Inscription.  Consisting of four double sets and one single occupancy dwelling for the post commander, these were the last officers' homes constructed at Fort Robinson. They represent the culmination of Victorian military architecture, with fancy fireplaces and bell systems to summon servants. After the military abandoned the fort in 1948, the quarters provided housing for employees of the USDA Beef Cattle Research Station, and have more recently been used as state park visitor accommodations by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
 
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureForts and CastlesParks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 42° 40.271′ N, 103° 28.284′ W. Marker is near Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker can be reached from Bridges to Buttes Byway (U.S. 20) just south of Soldier
Officers’ Row image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, May 25, 2021
2. Officers’ Row
Click or scan to see
this page online
Creek Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 Bridgest to Buttes Byway, Crawford NE 69339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1887 Barracks Row (approx. ¼ mile away); Adobe Officers’ Quarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ft. Robinson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flagstaff, 1890 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Post Headquarters, 1905 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chief Crazy Horse (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Ft. Robinson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174194

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2021