Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Pecan Springs School
In community where scalping and dramatic rescue of Josiah Wilbarger occurred in 1833. By 1875 area had developed so much that a schoolhouse was built at this site. Original 30 x 40 – foot structure was set on 4.68 acres of land. A Mr. Goodnight was the first teacher; he had 85 pupils in one-room school.
Later, under county system, this became District Number 61. Its southern boundary was the Colorado River. By 1943 it had six teachers. It was annexed to Austin in 1951; closed in 1956.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 15647.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 17.862′ N, 97° 41.256′ W. Marker was in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker was on Manor Road south of East 51st Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is at the Harvard Place Apartments. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 5020 Manor Road, Austin TX 78723, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. Annie Webb Blanton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Josiah Pugh Wilbarger (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Colored Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Site of Fort Colorado (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bethany Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller (approx. 1.8 miles away); Downs Field (approx. 2 miles away); Addcox House (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Regarding Site of Pecan Springs School. The Pecan Springs Elementary School website gives a short history of the school:
Pecan Springs School is over 100 years old and was originally built as a two-room school house with four grades, with an outhouse in the back. Its original location was on Manor Road where an existing apartment complex stands. There is a historical plaque commemorating the original school site. There also exists a large bound volume of the history of Pecan Springs School from 1875-1975 written by Nadine M. Whitely.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker describing scalping of Josiah Wilbarger. Was near school, moved to new location 1985.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2019, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.