Tennessee / Spring Water Brewery
In 1858 P. & N. Harsh built a small brewery near Franklin College on Stones River Pike. E.D. Crossman & M.J. Drucker took over in 1860, renaming it the Tennessee Brewery. After fire destroyed it in 1860 and again in 1864, Drucker rebuilt it as the Spring Water Brewery and leased to L. Mankel and M. Frank in 1866. F. Laitenberger (of Germantown's City Brewery) assumed the lease briefly until the brewery closed in 1872 due to competition from the Nashville Brewing Company.
[Caption on reverse:]
1860-61 Nashville City Directory advertisement for the Tennessee Brewery. The distribution office was located on S. Market St. (now 2nd Ave. 2)
Erected 2021 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County/Donated by Mertie Family. (Marker Number 230.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee, The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tolbert Fanning (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tennessee Hospital for the Insane (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ezell House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Brewery at Mill Creek (approx. 1.9 miles away); Buchanan's Station (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mud Tavern (approx. 2 miles away); Mill Creek Baptist Church and Graveyard (approx. 2.2 miles away); Greenwood Park (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.