Christ Episcopal Church
Location: 109 South Washington Street
Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour
The first Anglican chapel in or near Rockville was built in 1739 on a two-acre parcel of land that is now part of Rockville Cemetery. It was constructed of clapboards and logs and known as both the "Chapel of Ease" and Rock Creek Chapel.
Additions were made to the chapel in the 1750s, and a transept was added in 1770, which completed its cruciform plan. The result was said to be "considerably handsomer and more church-like" than the brick church it replaced. The church was consecrated as Christ Church in 1808 by Bishop Thomas John Claggett, the first Episcopal bishop consecrated on American soil.
Rockville's growth inspired the congregation to move into the center of town and build a new church on South Washington Street, in 1822. Soon after, Christ Church became Parish Home Church when Rock Creek Parish was established in the district of Columbia, and a rectory was built on West Montgomery Avenue. In 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his troops briefly captured Rockville. Union sympathizers sought sanctuary in Christ Church and were seized along with several members of the vestry. The captives were released after being
The Gothic Revival-style church that stands here today was completed in 1887. It was almost destroyed during a hurricane in 1896.
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1739.
Location. 39° 4.95′ N, 77° 9.176′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Washington Street just north of Vinson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 S Washington St, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Dr. James Anderson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lamar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Adam Robb's Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rockville (about 300 feet away); Hungerford Tavern / Susan Russell House (about 300 feet away); Hungerford Tavern (about 300 feet away); Hungerford Tavern Site (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.