Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Results contain just this marker . . .
Anamosa in Jones County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Old Military Road

Dubuque to the Northern Boundary of Missouri

 
 
The Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 27, 2021
1. The Old Military Road Marker
Inscription.  
This highway
is the
Old Military Road
from
Dubuque to the northern
boundary of Missouri
authorized by Congress 1839

 
Erected 1937 by Iowa Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 42° 6.501′ N, 91° 17.37′ W. Marker is in Anamosa, Iowa, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and North High Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Marker is located beside the sidewalk at the southeast corner of the Jones County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 West Main Street, Anamosa IA 52205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Our Town Lisbon, Iowa (approx. 13.8 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 13.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Lincoln Highway
The Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 27, 2021
2. The Old Military Road Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 14.2 miles away); Uranus (approx. 14.2 miles away); William Abbe (approx. 14.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Lincoln Highway (approx. 14.3 miles away); South Hall (approx. 14½ miles away); a different marker also named The Old Military Road (approx. 14.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Old Military Road. Trailing diagonally across the State from Dubuque to Iowa City is an old ridge road. It was laid out to connect the little mining town on the river with the new Territorial capital. The United States government was then fostering the construction of military roads on the western frontier, and in March, 1839, Congress appropriated twenty thousand dollars for such a road to begin at Dubuque and run "to such point on the northern boundary of the State of Missouri as may be best suited for its future extension by that State to the cities of Jefferson and St. Louis". (Submitted on July 1, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
The Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 27, 2021
3. The Old Military Road Marker
(Jones County Courthouse in background)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176261

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 4, 2022