Wauwatosa in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Milwaukee County's First Airport
The nation’s first commercial air transport, the Lawson Airliner, took off from this field on August 27, 1919 on a demonstration flight to New York City and Washington, D.C., and returned on November 14, 1919. This two-engined biplane, 95 feet in wingspan, carried 16 passengers and two pilots.
Milwaukee’s first airmail was flown from here on June 7, 1926 by the Charles Dickinson line, operating from Chicago to St. Paul via Milwaukee and La Crosse.
This airport was deactivated during November, 1926 when the need for more space led the County to purchase Hamilton Airport, the site of present General Mitchell Field.
Erected 1969 by Milwaukee County Park Commission Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 168.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Air & Space. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1909.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 43° 5.077′ N, 88° 3.167′ W. Marker was in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker could be reached from Mayfair Road, ¼ mile south of West Capitol Drive. Marker is located in Currie Park. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53222, United States of America.
We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Milwaukee County Asylum Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 2.7 miles away); Charles Hart Homestead (approx. 2.9 miles away); Lowell Damon House (approx. 3 miles away); Wauwatosa Avenue Historic District (approx. 3 miles away); Milwaukee County Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); “Sunnyhill Home” (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wauwatosa.
More about this marker. Marker is now located inside the clubhouse at Currie Park Golf Course. Most of the other signage has been taken down around the clubhouse as well.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,060 times since then and 133 times this year. Last updated on July 6, 2021, by Fitzie Heimdahl of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.