Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 / The Standard Oil Company
John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937.
Born at Richford, New York, John D. Rockefeller moved to the Cleveland area with his family at age 14. He began his business career as a bookkeeper in 1855. From modest beginnings he became one of the richest men of his era by developing the world's largest oil corporation, the Standard Oil Company, which was founded here in the Flats of Cleveland. Rockefeller moved to New York City in 1884 but maintained two homes in Cleveland, returning often with his wife Laura (1839-1915). Although he was a controversial businessman, Rockefeller donated millions of dollars to Cleveland charities and institutions, and land for Rockefeller and Forest Hills parks. John and Laura Rockefeller are interred in Lake View Cemetery.
The Standard Oil Company.
Near this site in 1863 (the northwest corner of Main and River streets), John D. Rockefeller ventured into the new oil business with partner Samuel Andrews, refining kerosene for lamplight. Their first refinery, the Excelsior Works, was located about two miles upriver, south of Kingsbury Run. In 1870 Rockefeller, Andrews, and Henry M. Flagler
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 38-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 29.767′ N, 81° 42.053′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Merwin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moses Cleaveland’s “Capital Town” (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio and Erie Canal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alexis de Tocqueville Irish Famine Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Old Stone Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Near this site Fort Huntington was Erected (approx. half a mile away); Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (approx. half a mile away); Com. Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,933 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.