Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Rock in Lake County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Fort Rock Grange # 758

 
 
Fort Rock Grange # 758 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frank Gunshow Sanchez, August 13, 2021
1. Fort Rock Grange # 758 Marker
Inscription.  The Fort Rock Grange was organized in 1930 during the great depression, a time of hardship, drought, and struggle for those living in the Fort Rock Valley. There were 17 charter members, whose names hang on the north wall of the main hall. Meetings were held in the Fort Rock Community Hall until it was decided the grange needed its own building.

In 1938 one acre of property where the grange now sits was purchased for $10. Three abandoned homestead era schools, built between 1909 and 1913, were purchased from the Fort Rock School district for $125 in 1939. Grange members began moving the buildings, to this site. The Connley School was moved from three miles south, the Cougar Valley/Fleetwood School was moved from nine miles.east, and the Loma Vista school moved from three miles south, and eleven miles east.

The buildings were joined, leveled and remodeled to fit the needs of the grange. A well was drilled using a rotary drill, powered by a horse walking around in a circle.

The hall was officially dedicated Oct. 6, 1940, With Roy W. Gill, Oregon State Grange Master officiating. "The total cost of the hall,
Fort Rock Grange # 758 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frank Gunshow Sanchez, August 13, 2021
2. Fort Rock Grange # 758 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
including land, buildings, moving, remodeling, repairs, and an electric light plant, was $700. All equipment used, and labor involved was donated.

The grange has held their meetings in the hall for over eighty years, along with dances, community meetings, plays, weddings, funerals, and school activities. Improvements have been made during the years, and the Fort Rock Grange stands ready to serve the needs of the Fort Rock Valley in the future.

Dedicated Aug. 14, 2021/6026
 
Erected by Umpqua Joe 1859, Lassen Loomis 1914, Yerba Buena 1, Las Plumas Del Oro 8, AL Packer 100, and Jesse Lee Reno 1422 of E Clampus Vitus & Sam Barlow 33 Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 14, 1930.
 
Location. 43° 21.372′ N, 121° 3.358′ W. Marker is in Fort Rock, Oregon, in Lake County. Marker is on Fort Rock Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64651 Fort Rock, Fort Rock OR 97735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Path to the Past (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Claiming the Desert (about 600 feet away); Home Sweet Home (about 600 feet away); The First People of Fort Rock
Fort Rock Grange # 758 image. Click for full size.
By Frank Gunshow Sanchez, August 13, 2021
3. Fort Rock Grange # 758
(approx. 1.3 miles away); Cowboy, Horseman, Philosopher (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Birth of a Tuff Ring (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Rock State Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Rock (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Rock.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2021, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 221 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2021, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179497

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021