Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Results contain just this marker . . .
Near Buffalo in Harper County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Charleston

 
 
Charleston Marker - Front Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 10, 2021
1. Charleston Marker - Front Side
Inscription.  The east-west section line one mile south of this marker was formerly Locust Street, in Charleston, Okea. The first post office was established June 18, 1901. Approximately one and one half mile south and one half mile west of here near the center of Section 10. It was named after Charles J. Eilerts on whos homestead it was located and who was the first postmaster and merchant in the area. The Charleston School District was organized March 27, 1902, and the first school was taught in a tent approximately two miles west of here by Edna B. Coffey.

Travel from this area to the nearest railroad took all day with a team and wagon loaded with wheat or livestock for the market. Community roads were little more than traces in the grass, and visiting between neighbors accordingly was limited. A trip to town on Saturday was a social event as well as a shopping chore. However, the wagons that brought homesteaders to the territory carried musical instruments and books as well as plows, so that social progress was rapid. Before statehood in 1907, the community came to enjoy civic opportunities afforded by a lodge room, a race track, and a brass
Charleston Marker - Back Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 10, 2021
2. Charleston Marker - Back Side
Click or scan to see
this page online
bano.

Continue on back

In 1908 Charles J. and Edna B. (Coffey) Eilerts, surveyed 26 acres of the northwest corner of their homestead into six blocks, and lots with seven streets. The town, including the post office and subsequently the school was moved to the new location bordering on the section line (Locust Street) where lots could be obtained for homes and businesses.

In its most active period Charleston had a doctor and a justice of the peace, two churches, a school, a post office and two rural mail routes. There were two general stores, a drug store, a blacksmith shop and a livery stable. The principal commerce was with farmers and ranchers who raised wheat, broom corn, hogs and cattle. The population of 100 persons was exceeded considerably on Sunday by community church attendance and on weekends by the visits of those interested in baseball or the programs of the school or literacy society.

Despite this progress, the popuertion declined after 1920, when the Santa Fe Railroad bypassed the town to the south. The post office was moved to Selman but kept the name Charleston until 1923. The school house continued in use until 1933.
 
Erected 1983 by Oklahoma Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture
Charleston Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 10, 2021
3. Charleston Marker
Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 27, 1902.
 
Location. 36° 51.35′ N, 99° 26.323′ W. Marker is near Buffalo, Oklahoma, in Harper County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 64 and County Highway N2010, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 64. The marker is located at the intersection with a County road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo OK 73834, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
The view of the Charleston Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 10, 2021
4. The view of the Charleston Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181525

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 6, 2022