“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Sandusky-Scioto Trail

- Used by Indian, British and Colonial Rangers -

Sandusky-Scioto Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
1. Sandusky-Scioto Trail Marker
Inscription.  Roger's Colonial Rangers against the French, 1760. Bradstreet's British army against Pontiac, 1764. Butler's British Rangers against Crawford, 1782. Proctor's British army against Ft. Stephenson, 1813. Called, after the American invasion of Canada 1813 The "Harrison Trail" War of 1812.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansRoads & VehiclesWar of 1812War, French and Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1760.
Location. 41° 20.203′ N, 83° 7.938′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is at the intersection of Buckland Ave. and Cleveland Ave., on the left when traveling north on Buckland Ave.. This historical marker is located on the outer wall that surrounds the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, just to the left of the south-east gate entrance (the gate doors originally protecting the White House in Washington DC, but were donated to the Hayes Presidential Center). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1491 Buckland Ave, Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrison Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Soldiers Memorial Parkway of Sandusky County
Sandusky-Scioto Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
2. Sandusky-Scioto Trail Marker
The historical marker is shown on the wall of the Hayes Presidential Center, just to the left of the gated southeast entrance that allows the Scioto-Sandusky Trail to proceed through grounds of the Presidential estate. Immediately seen through and just beyond the gate is the broad leaf tree that Mr. Hayes named after William Henry Harrison.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Cleveland Gateway (approx. ¼ mile away); Colonel Webb C. Hayes, M.H. (approx. ¼ mile away); Maj. Gen’l. James B. McPherson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Captain Samuel Thomson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spiegel Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Spiegel Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
More about this marker. The pathway that heads north through the nearby gated entrance, and then northward through the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center is said to be built upon the original Scioto-Sandusky Trail that this historical marker is referring to. As you go through the nearby gate and begin to walk north on the trail, almost immediately you come upon one of the many giant, broad leaf trees, that Mr. Hayes had developed the habit of naming after any number of his famous friends and countrymen. This particular tree has a plaque upon it stating that it was named by Mr. Hayes after, William Henry Harrison.
Regarding Sandusky-Scioto Trail. During the course of the War of 1812 this trail, which runs right through the Hayes Presidential Center, was said to have been used at times by both the British and their Native American allies, as well as by the American military. Tradition has it that at some point, during the course of his Sandusky Valley Campaign, elements of the American army (along with General Harrison) actually camped and slept on what is now the Hayes Presidental Center.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Sandusky-Scioto Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 8, 2009
3. Sandusky-Scioto Trail Marker
A close up view of the plaque on the tree, that is located just inside the south-east gate of the Hayes Presidental Center. The plaque shows that Mr. Hayes named the tree after William Henry Harrison.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,435 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 1, 2021